Thursday, January 28, 2021

New Creation and the College of Bishops Statement on Identity

 The ACNA college of bishops have issued a wonderful statement on human sexuality and identity.  You can view it here.  I have nothing more to add to what they've said and it would be presumptuous for me to do so as a lowly parish priest.  So I'll leave it there.  

What I do want to address is the criticism that it is getting and the reasons for why a statement like this is so important for the province and the church as a whole.  

One would think that given the nature of the ACNA's founding that a document such as this would be unnecessary.  In a logical world that would make sense, but we don't live in a logical world and so this decisive statement is crucial for the church.  Part of the problem is that there are voices in the church who wish to have a conversation about sexual identity, which will ultimately lead to, in my opinion, a place where sexual ethics are called into question all over again.  We can't go back there.  

What I appreciate about this statement is that its not opinion or conjecture, but based in sound exegeses and biblical theology.  It's not a "thus saith the bishops" but a "thus saith the Lord" sort of document and I am overjoyed for that.  It is important for us to embrace the biblically orthodox understanding of identity, which argues that for the Christian our identity is in Christ with 0 modifiers.  We are not defined by our sinful inclinations anymore.  "Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are new."  Either that's true or it isn't and by defining ourselves by the things that temp us is both dangerous and a rejection of this truth.  

In regards to the criticism that followed the statement I do find it interesting that what I have found thus far has been based in "this makes me feel" and "I am hurt by this."  A grand total of 0 critiques have been based in exegesis or theology.  That's says a great deal about the statement and those who oppose it.  Obviously there is work that needs to be done.  Obviously we need to be about the business of discipling our flocks and helping them to better understand their identities are in Christ and never in the things that Christ has saved them from.  

Regardless of any of that I commend to you the teaching of the college of bishops and hope that it will be a blessing to you as it has been to me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment