Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Spiritual Communion

 
 
There is a long tradition in the church of receiving what's called "spiritual communion."  There is a whole rite in our prayer book that can be said if you are indisposed or unable to attend the mass due to illness or any other JUST cause.  In other words you can't use it just because you wanted to sleep in on Sunday morning.  The concept also has scriptural basis too.  Our Baptist friends like to ask, "what about the thief on the cross?" when we discuss the sacraments with them.  The idea is that he didn't receive the sacraments and he was still promised paradise, therefore, in their minds the sacraments are unnecessary. 
 
But!  That's not how that story is understood, nor does that do justice to the rich sacramental theology of the church.  The thief on the cross desired what the sacraments give.  Namely Jesus.  Therefore, the church believes that the thief on the cross received what is offered in the sacraments because he desired it.  That's where the following prayer comes in.  When you watch communion on Sunday morning and I receive the bread and wine you can share in that sacrament with the following prayer. 

"In union, O Lord with the faithful at every altar of Thy Church, where the Holy Eucharist is now being  celebrated, I desire to offer Thee praise and thanksgiving. I present to Thee my soul and body with the earnest wish that may always be united to Thee. And since I can not now receive Thee sacramentally, I     beseech Thee to come spiritually into my heart. I unite myself to Thee, and embrace Thee with all the     affections of my soul. Let nothing ever separate Thee from me. May I live and die in Thy love. Amen."
 
through that prayer, but more importantly, through, your faith and desire for the sacrament you will receive what is offered therein. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment