Friday, June 21, 2019

Anglican Identity: Part three the ghostbuster edition

One of my favorite movies growing up was the cult classic Ghost Busters.  The ghost busters used nuclear powered backpacks that zapped the ghosts so they couldn't get away. It was awesome and I wanted one.

In one scene from the film it is suggested that when using their equipment they should avoid crossing streams.  Why? They didn't know for sure, but it seemed that crossing streams might be a bad idea.  In the end they have to cross their streams in order to defeat a particularly powerful ghost named Gozer the Gozerian.  It worked and the Ghostbusters lived to fight another day.

 Perhaps there is a lesson in this for Anglicans.  Maybe I'm reaching too far.  Time will tell!

Modern American Anglicans like to distinguish between three streams of Anglicanism.  There is the Catholic stream, the Reformed Stream, and the Charismatic stream.  I think most of that is nonsense.
Instead I think there are really only two streams, if that's what you want to call them, which is what I'm totally going to do just because I want to use Ghostbusters to prove my point!

 We talked about these two streams in the last installment.  You have the protestant stream and the catholic stream. For some, crossing those streams would be bad.  They aren't sure how, but it would just be bad.  So you get angloevangelicals in their corner and anglocatholics in theirs.  Never to cross because crossing streams is bad.

But that has always been a huge frustration for me, because I firmly believe that the two streams (yes were going to keep using that term) have a great deal to offer one another.  Not only that, but they have much more in common then I think they like to realize.

Now you might be wondering why I talk about these groups as if I'm on the outside.  The reason for that is because I would more accurately identify myself as a high church Anglican or a prayer book catholic.  I'm somewhere in between the two streams.  I'm the guy yelling for yall to cross your streams and see what happens.

But if you've seen Ghostbusters you know what happens.  They defeat Gozer the Gozerian and save New York from an apocalypse.   Wait...  they saved people from an apocalypse by crossing streams? That's what we're supposed to be doing!


All kidding aside, though, Anglicanism can only be enriched by crossing our streams.  Evangelical doctrine, with high church liturgy, can only be described as glorious.

Throughout the history of Anglicanism one stream has often been more emphasized then the other.  Anglicanism under Edward VI took a decidedly reformed evangelical turn.  Then under Charles I and Archbishop Laud the pendulum swung back in the other direction.  Back and forth down through the centuries.

Anglicanism, however, has always been most glorious when those two streams come together.  Like under the reign of Elizabeth I.  Good times had by all.  Accept the Roman Catholics that is...

It is an undisputed fact that there is a crisis in global Anglicanism.  The rot of liberalism has creeped in and done significant damage to the church as a whole.  The damage may be unrepairable.  But there is also great opportunity for Anglican realignment to take place.  Sadly one of the road blocks to that realignment is an unwillingness to, like the ghost busters, cross our streams.

This is sad, because what unites us, is far greater then what divides us.  There is of course a common faithfulness to scripture, the gospel, and building the Kingdom of God.  But also a common opposition to women's ordination, same sex marriage, and cultural Marxism.  If only we could cross the streams we might be able to beat Gozer the Gozerian (also known as Justin Welby) and save global Anglicanism from an apocalyptic doom.

We can also learn from each other.  Can you imagine the power behind combining evangelical preaching and high church worship?  Who needs nuclear powered backpacks when you have those two powerhouses?

Great strides are being made in this area and we need to keep the momentum going.  My own personal goal is to breach those gaps as much as possible and I know some of you feel the same way.

Let me then close with the words of Christ,

“I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Amen!" John 17

No comments:

Post a Comment